2/16/10

cinderella

by Sylvia Plath

The prince leans to the girl in scarlet heels,
Her green eyes slant, hair flaring in a fan
Of silver as the rondo slows; now reels
Begin on tilted violins to span

The whole revolving tall glass palace hall
Where guests slide gliding into light like wine;
Rose candles flicker on the lilac wall
Reflecting in a million flagons' shine,

And glided couples all in whirling trance
Follow holiday revel begun long since,
Until near twelve the strange girl all at once
Guilt-stricken halts, pales, clings to the prince

As amid the hectic music and cocktail talk
She hears the caustic ticking of the clock.


image source unknown.

4 comments:

  1. beautiful words...have you read the bell jar? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i havent =[ it's sitting on my bookshelf. i need to start it, after i finish my other million books...but it looks so good. i love Sylvia Plath. her story is so tragic, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i clicked on it bc of the hair but then got inspired to read! thank you!
    xo
    brandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this poems. Probably my favorite lines from Plath are:

    "I should sit on a rock off Cornwall and comb my hair.
    I should wear tiger pants, I should have an affair.
    We should meet in another life, we should meet in air,
    Me and you."

    ReplyDelete

♥♥♥

archived postcards

me

My photo
Portland, OR, United States
hi! i'm Lena, but you can call me Lulu. i love Frida Kahlo, feminism, art, reading, kitties, and drinking tea. i love the film Amelie and i think that the tiny traveling gnome has stolen my heart. i want to own a bookshop and live above it one day. i get quite passionate about things. i tend to think too much. i'm kind of a hermit.

follow me

Follow postcards from dreamland

copy and paste me


Photobucket

i credit

thank you to Janine for letting me use her wonderful postcard photo as my blog header ♥

i pledge